Just updated my CMS (Textpattern) to the latest version (6.4.2). I had to because the University just updated the PHP on the server and this broke the old install.
This document is a quick primer on using TextPattern, the Content Management System that controls my web pages. It covers the basics only.
After I have made you an account, you should receive login information in an email. Read the rest of this entry »
Use the following to put in a table of contents in a text pattern page.
<div id="TOC"> <txp:soo_toc label="Contents" labeltag="h3"/> </div>
The code will build a TOC for every header that has an IDREF. An example would look like this:
Because adding an excerpt by hand wrecks the syndication of this site through Wordpress to my other blog, I don’t usually add a text summary. Instead, I do something similar to the Wikipedia or Wordpress: I begin articles with an abstract like first paragraph, then include a table of contents, then have the rest of the body.
I used to make up these tables of content by hand, cursing all the time that Textile wasn’t XML. Then I discovered soo_toc, a Textpattern plugin that builds tables of contents dynamically. Joy!
Of course, now I need to remember to add the template that calls the TOC to each page (as I type this, I wonder if there might not be a simple variable I could develop that does this, but that’s for later). Read the rest of this entry »
Should I keep this blog? Should I retweet yours? Scholarly responsibility and new publication modelsPosted: August 24, 2012
I’ve been engaged with on-line scholarly publication for almost two decades. For a while in the middle of the first decade of this century in fact, my most popular and most often cited publication was a 1998 webpage describing my plans for an electronic edition of the Old English poem Caedmon’s Hymn Read the rest of this entry »
Let’s say you have a section on a webpage like the “current courses” section in the right menu bar my teaching webspace.
This draws its list from articles in the section “teaching” that have “current_interest” as a category.
The problem comes between semesters while I am preparing my syllabi. If no course has a category “current_interest” you end up with a header and no content.
What you need is something that checks whether there is content to display and then presents different material based on the outcome of that check. You might delete the section entirely, or, as I have done, display a placeholder message. Read the rest of this entry »