A couple of useful tools that I rely on a lot are caffeine (a tool for disabling the screensaver) and, especially, system monitor (a tool for tracking memory use, CPU use, and so on). With the rise in online meetings due to the COVID emergency, this last has been particularly important: Firefox and Zoom together can rapidly cause trouble and it’s important for me to see when I’m about to run out of memory or my CPUs are straining.
With my update to Ubuntu 21.04, Hirsute Hippo, I somehow couldn’t get either to work. I installed the Gnome Shell extensions add on to firefox, but no mater how many times I turned things on there, nothing happened in the system bar.
The answer in my particular case was that the place to turn extensions on is via the Gnome-Tweaks tool. That was it.Read the rest of this entry »
Just upgraded to Ubuntu 21.04 (Hirsute Hippo) and had RescueTime break on me. It basically only seemed to see when I was using Zoom.
Tried all sorts of things (adding exceptions to Firefox, asking for help, and so on), but nothing worked.
The problem, I was pretty sure, was that the three key commands that are supposed to work to enable RescueTime to know what you are doing on your computer were not working:
xprop -id `xprop -root | grep "_NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW(WINDOW)" | cut -d# -f2 | cut -d, -f1` | grep "NET_WM_PID" | cut -d"=" -f2 2>/dev/null xprop -id `xprop -root 2>/dev/null | grep "_NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW(WINDOW)" | cut -d# -f2 | cut -d, -f1` 2>/dev/null | grep "WM_CLASS(STRING)" | cut -d"\"" -f4 2>/dev/null xprop -id `xprop -root 2>/dev/null | grep "_NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW(WINDOW)" | cut -d# -f2 | cut -d, -f1` 2>/dev/null | grep "WM_NAME(STRING)\|WM_NAME(COMPOUND_TEXT)" | cut -d" Read the rest of this entry »
I just updated my operating system from Ubuntu 20.10 to 21.04. This was an upgrade, rather than a new install, but one of the things it did was replace my Firefox with the latest version.
I’d been having trouble a while ago with Firefox eating up all my memory and processing power and had made a number of changes that, while solving the problem, I forgot to write down. Installing the new Firefox deleted these leaving me with issues again.